With acknowledgement to the Camden New Journal:
Published: 26 September, 2013by STEVE BARNETT
CAMDEN’S green-fingered brigade really were out in full bloom on Saturday as members from the Hampstead Horticultural Society gathered for their autumn show.
Enthusiastic gardeners wandered down a semi-rural country road in Childs Hill cradling their produce and flowers as they braced themselves for a morning of tough judging at the All Saints Church near Hendon Way.
Among the big winners was show veteran and former chairwoman of the society Margaret Scanlon (pictured), who gained first-place prizes for her indoor tomatoes and her floral art arrangements, and showstopper Gerlinde Kathuria won a whole host of categories, receiving first place rosettes for her fuchsias, perennial flowers and her garden shrubs in flowers.
Another highlight was a talk by gardening expert Mike Jackson from the Camden Garden Centre, who shared secrets on how to prepare gardens for the winter.
Hampstead Horticultural Society’s Autumn Show big winners:
Horticultural classes: Fuchsias: 1st Gerlinde Kathuria; 2nd Virginia Berridge.
• Annual flowers: 2nd place for Margaret Scanlon.
• Pot plant, flowering: 1st Mary Betts; 2nd Anne Rowe.
• Pot plant, grown indoors from seed or cutting: 1st Virginia Berridge.
• Perennial flowers: 1st Gerlinde Kathuria; 2nd Rosa Bacharach.
• Garden shrubs in flower: 1st Gerlinde Kathuria; 2nd Laura Singleton.
• Foliage, fruit and vegetable: 1st Gerlinde Kathuria; 2nd Rosa Bacharach.
• Fruit, apples: 1st Anne Rowe.
• Fruit, tomatoes outdoors: 1st Anne Rowe; 2nd Pauline Swindells.
• Fruit, tomatoes indoors: 1st Margaret Scanlon.
• Herbs: 1st Margaret Scanlon; 2nd Gerlinde Kathuria.
• Floral Art - A miniature arrangement: 1st Rosa Bacharach; 2nd Frances Radford.
• Floral Art – A petite arrangement: 1st Margaret Scanlon.
• Floral Art – A Japanese style arrangement: 1st Margaret Scanlon.
• Interpretive arrangement – The Seaside (children under 6): 1st Elsie Singleton.
• Domestic Classes: Jar of home made jam or jelly: 1st Margaret Scanlon; 2nd Frances Radford.
• Upside down summer fruit cake: 1st Frances Radford.
• Beetroot salad treat: 1st Frances Radford.
Winners Dr L Russell and Audrey Stocker at Hampstead Horticultural Society Spring Show
Rachael Getzels Sunday, April 21, 2013 9:00 AM
annual Spring Show of the Hampstead Horticultural Society (HHS)
blossomed last weekend, as the organisation enjoyed a very full house,
despite the cold weather.
years ago, the HHS almost collapsed due to lack of members – but this
year, the show came to life, with more visitors than usual, and a
dazzling array of daffodils, that they had expected would not bloom, due
to the late spring.
were also on sale and visitors were invited to listen to a talk on long
trumpet and short trumpet daffodils from a spring flower expert.
Betts, secretary of the show said: “Spring has been so far behind so we
weren’t expecting to see many people and had already heard from some
regulars that they had no plants to bring so they weren’t coming.
“But the day went really well.All the classes were nearly full and the room was full of flowers we had to show off.”